The New York Post: Iowa family found dead in Mexico; toxic gas blamed

0
262
views

An Iowa family of four found dead while vacationing in Mexico were killed by toxic gas — and local authorities were spotted examining the gas connection to their rented condo’s stove, reports said.

A statement issued by the Quintana Roo prosecutor’s office on Twitter said the four family members — Kevin Sharp, 41, his wife Amy Sharp, 38, and their children Sterling, 12, and Adrianna, 7 — died from “asphyxiation from inhaling toxic gases.”

The type of gas still hadn’t been determined, but the office said the poisoning was accidental since “any violent act or suicide has been discounted.”

Investigators in anti-contamination suits and firefighters with air tanks were seen combing through the Caribbean coastal condo in Tulum — and concentrating on the gas connections to the stove.

The family flew to Cancun on March 14, according to the Creston News Advisor.

Amy’s sister, Renee Hoyt, said Amy texted their mother the next day, after they reached Tulum.

Hoyt said it was the last time anyone heard from them.

When the four failed to return state-side Wednesday, their family called the police.

The developer of the Tao condo complex where the deaths occurred was contacted Friday by news reporters, but did not comment.

In 2010, five Canadian tourists and two Mexicans were killed during an explosion of a badly installed gas line at a hotel in the nearby town of Playa del Carmen.

This report originally appeared on NYPost.com.