WASHINGTON — The White House on Sunday announced a plan to reduce gun violence at schools that includes spending federal money on training school staffers to carry concealed weapons, but not President Donald Trump’s earlier call to raise the age limit for buying guns.
Instead, the plan creates a federal panel to study age restrictions and other potential changes in laws and to make recommendations later.
The White House blueprint, which comes in the wake of last month’s mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school, calls for “hardening our schools” by instituting security procedures comparable to those in airports, sports stadiums and government buildings. One way to do that, the White House said, is to use Justice Department grants to train school personnel to carry weapons “on a voluntary basis.”
“There’s no time to waste,” said Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who presented the plan to reporters. The Wall Street Journal reported some of the details of the plan on Saturday. The Trump administration plan also calls on states to adopt laws allowing police, with court approval, to remove firearms from people who are a threat to themselves or others and to temporarily prevent those people from purchasing new guns.
Also popular on WSJ.com: